Monday, December 15, 2008

Mondayne

I'm the guy that questions everything. If it exists, if people unanimously agree it's ok, I have asked why. A lot of people do things simply because they're told to, or because they see others do them. What's funny to me is they don't stop and observe the results of what people do, they are content in doing it just because "it's what you do".

So I ask about Monday, what's so bad about Monday?

Hey, bob, how's it going?

Well, it's a Monday.

People blame this day of the week for their bad attitudes, crappy circumstances, and sub par work ethic. As if it's the Sabbath of trying. Trying is what we do the rest of the week, right? It's time for a break from trying! Though sometimes it appears that way I think there's more to it.

I think Monday is just the scapegoat for perceived failures. It's a seven day loop point that reminds us of what we have, but mainly have not, accomplished in the past seven days. I mean God created everything in six days and actually got to rest once a week. What did we do? We can actually accomplish quite a bit in that time and I think when we get up on Monday morning and see that we haven't we become bitter. We're bitter at the dead end job, the financial circumstance, or the strained relationship that didn't get resolved in the past week which leaves us greeting Monday with an "oh, it's you again". But instead of beating ourselves up, or beating up Monday on our behalves, let's try something different.

I think creating a happy occasion brightens everyone's day. Think about if Christmas or your birthday fell on a Monday. We wouldn't be thinking about how bad Monday was! We'd look forward to it even throughout the weekend.

Why not create some sort of Monday tradition? Maybe you could buy a special breakfast you wouldn't normally. Even better maybe you could buy breakfast for all of your coworkers. Buying a free biscuit breakfast for my coworkers costs about $12 and brightens everyone's Monday. It's always worth it.

I present that we make Monday more than mundane and make it a day of blessing. I challenge you to do something nice for someone else, no matter how big or small, today and every Monday and see if it changes how you think about Mondays. I think we'll find that the less we think about ourselves, and the more we think about helping others, the more we'll feel like we've really accomplished something over the week and the better Monday's will be for us and everyone we come in contact with.

Now what shall we call it now that Mondayne doesn't work? Help me find a new name for our weekly day of giving or at least make a name for it in your actions. Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment